Any obvious misalignment of an injured extremity usually means a fracture. If a fracture of the neck or back is suspected, DO NOT move the person.
Swelling and pain without misalignment can be sprain or fracture. Elevate injured part. Apply cold compresses for 20 minutes.
Call office if…
- After 20 minutes, there still is persistent, significant pain.
- Inability to use extremity after 20 minutes.
- Extremity looks misaligned.
- Child has not improved by the next day.
Call 911 if…
- Suspect back or neck fracture.
- Bone protruding through the skin.